International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
ITU is the leading United Nations agency for information and communication technologies, with the mission to connect the world. To achieve this, ITU manages the radio-frequency spectrum and satellite orbits at the international level, works to improve communication infrastructure in the developing world, and establishes global standards that foster seamless interconnection of a vast range of communication systems. ITU also organizes global Telecom events bringing together the most influential representatives of government and the private sector to exchange ideas and knowledge for the benefit of all.
VACANCY NOTICE NO. 59P-2021/BR-IAP/EXTERNAL/P3
Date of Issue: 16 November 2021
Currently accepting applications
|Applications from women are encouraged|
|Functions: Engineer (validation)||Post Number: R23/P3/475|
Deadline for Applications (23.59 Geneva CH) :
17 January 2022
|Duration of Contract: 2 years with possibility of renewal for 2 additional years|
|Type of Appointment: Fixed-term Appointment||Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland|
The Radiocommunication Bureau (BR) is responsible for the application of the Radio Regulations and for technical and administrative support of ITU World and Regional Radiocommunication Conferences, Radiocommunication Assemblies and Study Groups. The Bureau also carries out the international regulatory processes for registration of frequency assignments and satellite orbits and assists administrations in their coordination and implementation of frequency spectrum and orbit requirements as well as in resolving cases of harmful interference. It provides the specialised technical secretariat for the work of the Radiocommunication Study Groups and the Radiocommunication Assembly in the development of recommendations for spectrum utilisation and radio system characteristics. The BR is organised into four Departments: Space Services Department, Terrestrial Services Department, Informatics, Administration and Publications Department and the Study Groups Department.
The Informatics, Administration and Publications Department (IAP) comprises of three Divisions: Space Applications Software (SAS), Terrestrial Applications Software (TAS) and Administration, Membership and Strategic Communications Division (AMSC). The Department is responsible for the development and maintenance of software and related tools used by the BR as well as software adapted for national frequency management units, providing the necessary user support for the areas concerned. It carries out studies related to policies for the technologies to be used for the information and computational systems within the BR and with administrations in the fields of management of the radio frequency spectrum and the various satellite orbits. The Department is responsible for BR text editing and publications, as well as promotion and membership. The Department is also responsible for human resources management for the BR, including the preparation of the operational plans, as well as provides organisational support for conferences and meetings.
Duties / Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Senior Software Engineer (validation and quality assurance) in the Space Applications Software Division (SAS) in the Informatics, Administration and Publications Department (IAP), the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Provides hands-on support for Application and Database development by undertaking manual feature and integration testing, developing test automation artefacts, executing test suites, facilitating user acceptance testing, production deployment and providing testing/test automation training and documentation.
- Provides technical expertise in testing/test automation and plays a lead role in the development of testing tools, standards, templates, and new approaches and methodologies.
- Develops effective client relationships and meets with engineers and other staff to propose/recommend new technologies and software.
- Keeps abreast of the latest technologies and demonstrates continuous effort to improve practices, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes and work cooperatively and jointly with others to provide quality seamless service for the Department.
- Performs other duties as required: such as supporting the issue tracking system, providing training for developers in use of the issue tracking system, as well as ensuring testing standards and procedures are followed and maintained.
- Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Essential Functional Competencies: Analysis, Judgement and Decision Making; Client and Service Orientation; Innovation and Facilitating Change; Leadership; Networking and Building Partnerships; Planning and Organizing, and; Successful Management.
- Essential Technical Competencies: Knowledge of software verification and validation theory; Understanding of relevant business processes, operating strategies, policies and procedures within an international environment. Knowledge of web technologies and related developments. Familiarity with UI testing methodologies and programmes.
Education: Advanced university degree in computer science, information systems management or a related field OR education from a reputed college of advanced education with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of an advanced university degree in one of the fields above. For internal candidates, a first university degree in one of the fields above in combination with seven years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree for promotion or rotation purposes.
At least five years of progressively responsible experience in software validation, including at least two at the international level. A Doctorate in a related field can be considered as a substitute for two years of working experience. Experience in testing the latest web technologies, taking into account requirements for security, and for access by disabled persons. Experience in web application user interface and API testing automation using Selenium, SpecFlow, Cucumber, Gherkin or equivalent tools and frameworks. Web experience should include handling both Latin-based and non-Latin-based official UN languages, UNICODE and encoding related issues.
Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)
Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment (PA) (cost of living allowance). The PA is variable and subject to change without notice in accordance with the rates as set within the UN Common System for salaries and allowances.
Annual salary from $ 60,962 + post adjustment $ 49,623
Other allowances and benefits subject to specific terms of appointment, please refer to http://www.itu.int/en/careers/Pages/Conditions-of-Employment.aspx
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for written test. Interviews may be used as a form of screening.
For further information concerning the Conditions of Employment please click the following link Applicants will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration Currently accepting applications