The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) is a regional grouping of 21 African States which have agreed to promote regional integration through trade development and trade facilitation. The COMESA Court of Justice is the judicial organ of COMESA and was established in 1994 under Article 7 of the COMESA Treaty as the judicial organ of COMESA.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced professionals from COMESA member states for the position of Internal Auditorat the COMESA Court of Justice. The internal Auditor will be primarily responsible for the audit of accounts funded by Member States and Cooperating Partners and undertaking systems and compliance audits of the COMESA Court of Justice.
- Job Title
INTERNAL AUDITOR (COMESA COURT OF JUSTICE)
- Location: Khartoum, Sudan
- Reporting to: The Judge President and Registrar
- The Purpose of the Job
Functionally reporting to the Judge President and administratively to the Registrar, the Internal Auditor will primarily be responsible for the audit of accounts funded by Member States and Cooperating Partners. In addition, the Internal Auditor will be responsible for undertaking systems and compliance audits of the COMESA Court of Justice. Other responsibilities will include enhancement of the internal control, governance, and risks management systems; ensuring that the Court of Justice adheres to the various Cooperating Partner Agreements/Memoranda of Understanding and ensuring adherence to relevant approved reporting standards.
- Functions/Main duties and Accountabilities
Under the overall supervision of the Judge President and Registrar, the incumbent of the post shall perform the following duties:
- Prepare schedules of audit activities pertaining to the approved annual work programme of the Court.
- Prepare Audit programmes for the schedules of audit activities to be undertaken.
- Carry out the audit work as outlined in the audit programmes.
- Prepare financial implementation manuals for the Court.
- Ensure efficient and effective execution of audit work to enable timely completion of Reports for submission to the President of the Court, Policy Organs, and Cooperating Partners.
- Recommend areas in which controls could be enhanced in all systems. (g) Liaise with external auditors and follow up on audit recommendations. (h) Monitor and report on the effectiveness of the Court’s internal control environment, including quality compliance, on management of budgetary and extra budgetary resources.
- Monitor and evaluate the programmes being undertaken by the Court.
- Develop training and awareness initiatives to sensitise the Court on internal controls, governance and risks management and the benefits of compliance.
- Conduct special purpose audits from time to time as directed by the President or the Registrar.
- Develop relations with focal points within the Member States and other stakeholders.
- Conduct value for money audits on programmes being implemented by the Court.
- Review, appraise and report upon the extent to which the Institutional assets are accounted for and safeguarded against losses arising from fraud, waste, extravagance, and inefficient administration.
- Assist the COMESA Court to implement an Enterprise Risk Management System.
- Conduct financial systems assessment and audit that impact on the COMESA Court.
- Conduct periodic reviews of the internal control system and advice on controls to be incorporated into the systems and procedures of the organisation.
- Offer advisory and consultancy services to management to add value to the operations of the COMESA Court of Justice.
- Prepare interim management reports.
- Present management audit/reports of the Court from time to time.
- Initiate, review, and regularly update audit policies and systems of the Court.
- Review disbursement transactions by verifying their compliance with relevant legislations and administrative decisions.
- Audit the payroll by verifying the accuracy of staff emoluments.
- Any other related duties that may be assigned by his/her superiors from time to time.
- Minimum Academic Qualifications
i. bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, Business Administration, Commerce (B.Com), or Economics from a recognised university.
ii. Must have professional accounting and auditing qualification such as CIA, ACCA, CPA, CIMA, CIPFA, or ACA III.
iii. Knowledge in IT Auditing will be an added advantage.
- Professional Experience
- A minimum of Five (5) years proven experience in an auditing environment.
- Desirable Competencies
Applicants shall be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Knowledge of International Standards of the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (ISPPA).
- Good strategic analysis skills.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good planning, organisational, communication and reporting skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to operate effectively as part of a team.
- Conversant with key accounting packages and Computer Assisted Auditing Techniques.
- Working Language Requirement
Applicants must be fluent in English and/or French and/or Arabic (speaking and writing). A combination of any two (2) or all these languages will be added advantage.
- Terms of Appointment
The successful candidate will be appointed for an initial contract for a period of three (3) years, Subsequent contracts will be for durations of four (4) years depending on performance.
- Eligibility for Application
Applicants must be citizens of a COMESA Member country. (Seychelles is a member of COMESA)
- Mode of Applications
Interested candidates should contact or send their documents (i.e. completed COMESA application form, curriculum vitae, diplomas and certificates) to Mrs Nisha Chengo, Third Secretary, Regional Affairs at the Department of Foreign Affairs on the Email: NSerret@mfa.gov.sc or Tel: 4283590 for more information
The Department would appreciate receipt of all documents by Monday 17th April 2023 for review before the names of the short-listed candidates are communicated to the COMESA Secretariat.