Abu Dhabi UAE donates 2 million USD for Disaster Relief
The Government of Abu Dhabi of the United Arab Emirates has today donated 2 million US Dollars to the National Disaster Relief Fund in order to bring assistance to the people in Seychelles who suffered in the course of the flooding disaster last week.
“On behalf of the people and the Government of Seychelles, I would like to thank the President of the UAE and Ruler of Abu Dhabi, H.H. Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, H.H. General Sheikh Mohammad bin Zayed Al Nahyan and the people of the UAE for their generous donation at this time of need. We are deeply grateful for this gesture of compassion which reflects the deep ties of friendship which exist between Abu Dhabi and Seychelles. This will greatly aid in the reconstruction and rehabilitation efforts of the communities which were affected by the disaster,” said President Michel.
The President said that other individuals had contacted the Fund to give donations and urged individuals and organisations to continue to gather more support for the fund in Seychelles and abroad.
The United Arab Emirate has been one of the main partners to give assistance to Seychelles in the following areas;
- The UAE government provided budget support assistance to the Seychelles Government of USD 15 million for the 2008 economic reform programme.
- In 2009, the UAE announced a USD 30 million grant to construct houses on Perseverance Island as part of the government’s scheme to offer affordable housing to the whole population.
- The UAE also funded a new diagnostic centre for Seychelles Hospital worth USD 11 million in 2010.
- In 2010, the UAE government donated two electricity generators worth 15 million USD.
- In June 2011, 3 desalination plants were donated by Government of Abu Dhabi, in order to alleviate the drought situation on Mahe island.
- The MASDAR Company, based in Abu Dhabi, in partnership with the Seychelles Energy Commission, has developed wind power renewable energy in Seychelles with a donation of USD 25 million from the UAE.
- The UAE has also donated 40 buses to be used by SPTC in a bid to maintain the accessibility and affordability of the public transportation system.
- The Education sector has also benefited from UAE assistance through the introduction of a new e-learning project in 2011 which saw Intel-Learning IT equipment installed in all schools under the Sheikh Khalifa Schools IT Project.
- Following the President’s visit to Abu Dhabi in 2007, the UAE government had also donated 1 twin otter aircraft for surveillance of our EEZ and 4.5 million USD worth of equipment for Victoria Hospital. The UAE also donated 5 patrol boats in 2011 to the Seychelles Coast Guard, and also built a new Coastguard base and its radar system, which form part of a 15 million USD grant.
- The total value of support from the UAE in the 2009-2011 period is estimated at almost 100 million USD.