Call for Applications (Administrative Assistant)
The Indian Ocean Commission (IOC) is a regional organisation regrouping four ACP States (Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius, and Seychelles) plus one ultra-peripheral region of the European Union (Reunion, an overseas department of France) which have agreed to promote regional cooperation through the following areas:
– political and diplomatic cooperation;
– economic and commercial cooperation;
– sustainable regional development;
– strengthening of the regional cultural identity.
More information can be obtained from the IOC website www.coi-ioc.org.
Under the Maritime Security (MASE) Programme funded by the European Union, the IOC has established an Anti-Piracy Celle (APC) in Seychelles with the purpose of co-ordination activities related to counter piracy. The APC will be staffed with experts seconded by IOC member states and local support staff. Applications are invited for the following post:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Grade: Category 3 – “Cadre Intermédiaire”(local support staff)
Office: IOC APC (Anti-Piracy Celle)
Duty Station: Victoria, Mahé, Seychelles
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Administrative Assistant will work under the supervision of the IOC General Secretariat and provide support to all members of the APC.
His/her duties and responsibilities include but are not restricted to:
– Provide high level of administrative and clerical support to the team to ensure the smooth functioning of administrative systems.
– Monitor telephone usage (PABX – answering telephone calls, taking messages, etc.).
– Supervise the other support staff members.
– Reception of all incoming mails, e-mails & other couriers. Read, analyse and register them as per rules & regulations and determine their significance and plan their distribution. Coordination of all correspondences typing, editing and formatting of reports (monthly, quarterly, etc.).
– Co-operate with and support the IOC General Secretariat in bookkeeping and accountancy, taking care of the operation and the filing of the supporting documents.
– Register, distribute, file and store all documents and manage their availability and distribution with guidance from relevant team members.
– Ensure follow-up of files used by the programme and classification of the documents for accountancy and audit purposes.
– Organize the department’s internal meetings, draft the minutes and ensure follow-up.
– Organize travel arrangements and relevant logistics for local/foreign staff, consultants, workshop invitees etc. (booking, tickets, hotel bookings, transfers, etc.).
– Assist with the organisation of meetings and workshops including booking of conference room, interpreters services, ensuring that relevant IT equipment are functional, ensure follow-up of the agenda, and ensure logistics for international participants.
– Keep and update a ‘Contact database’.
– Monitor experts’ mission planning & relevant documentation such as mission orders and reports. Update reports afterwards.
– Update and maintain attendance/leave records for the local staff and consolidate reports for audit purposes.
– Assist new staff in setting up their office space, telephone extensions, computer access, email accounts etc.
– Follow-up of permit requests for expatriates.
– Backstop other support staff on administrative issues when needed.
– Any other assignment within his/her area of competence.
Minimum Qualifications and Professional Experience
– Candidates must have a level certificate (minimum academic requirement)
– Candidates must have a minimum of five years working experience in Office administration
– Strong knowledge of computer programs (i.e: MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and bookkeeping procedures
– Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy confidentiality concerning financial and employee files.
– Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, team building skills, decision making skills, analytical and problem solving skills, effective verbal/listening/written communication skills and effective organizational skills
– Experience scheduling travel arrangements for management
– Be Honest and Trustworthy
– Be Flexible and have Driving Licence (Class 2)
– Fluent in English and French and Ability to speak the local language (with support documents or certificates).
Tenure of Appointment
The initial appointment will go until June 2013 including a 3 months probationary period. Contract extension will be subject to performance and availability of funding.
The salary attached to the position will be determined accordingto the IOC salary scaleand depending onthe qualificationand experienceof the candidate.
Candidates must benationalsof one of theIOC MemberStatesandauthorized to workin Seychelles (with a valid work permit).
To apply, please submit by email, postal service or hand delivered the following:
– Letter of motivation.
– A detailed and updated CV.
– Names and contact details (including e-mail addresses) of two references.
– Copies of degrees, diplomas and other academic certificates.
– Copy of Identity Card or Passport.
Applications must be received not later than 27 July 2012 at 16:00 (Seychelles Time) and should be addressed to:
IOC Anti-Piracy Cell
c/o Jacques Belle
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Maison Quéau de Quinssy
Mont Fleuri, P.O. Box 656
E-mail : email@example.com
Contact : Jacques Belle
The IOC is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.