PRESIDENT MEETS WITH INDIAN PRIME MINISTER
President James Michel has arrived in India for a 2 day visit, accompanied by the Minister for Foreign Affairs Jean Paul Adam, and the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Seychelles, Dr. Rolph Payet.
The President will be meeting today with the Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to discuss bilateral cooperation and regional security issues.
President Michel is also addressing the Delhi Sustainable Development Summit 2011, where climate change and sustainable development for small island states will be some of the key issues to be discussed.
The President was invited to 11th Edition of the summit of World Sustainable Development Forum under the theme ‘Tapping Local Initiatives and Tackling Global Inertia,’ which is organised by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) in New Delhi.
The Director General of TERI, Dr. Rajendra Kumar Pachauri, who is also the chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel for Climate Change, held discussions with President Michel last June during the President’s state visit to India, where the President also visited the institute.
The Delhi Sustainable Development Summit will also be attended by Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai, and the President of the Dominican Republic Leonel Fernandez Reyna, as well as former Heads of State and Heads of Governments, decision-makers from governments, private sector, NGOs, multi/bilateral organisations, academia and research institutions.
Nobel Laureates Prof Joseph Stiglitz (Professor, Columbia University, USA), Dr Yuan-Tseh Lee (President, Academia Sinica, Taiwan) and Prof Sir James A Mirrlees (Professor of Political Economy, University of Cambridge) will also address the conference.
The summit will also be attended by:
• HE Mr. Ricardo Lagos, Former President, Government of Chile
• HE Dr Gro Harlem Brundtland, Former Prime Minister of Norway and Member of the UN Secretary General’s Global Sustainability Panel, Norway
• Mr Esko Aho, Former Prime Minister of Finland and Executive Vice President Member of the Group Executive Board, Nokia Corporation, Finland
• Lord John Prescott, Former Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Former Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, Member of Parliament for Hull East,
• HE Mr Arnold Schwarzenegger, Former Governor of California